Monday, January 27, 2020

Persephone the hiking cat

A few years ago I went to the shelter "just to look." (Famous last words for animal lovers and those like me who do rescue.) When I arrived I looked around. There were a lot of people there looking at the many kittens up for adoption. I thought I might like to adopt a kitten as well. As I looked around I felt a sudden tug on my shirt sleeve. I looked down to see a little paw grabbing my arm through the bars of her cage. I immediately asked the shelter staff if I could hold this cat. She was a beautiful multi-colored tortoiseshell with piercing yellow eyes. When the staff member put her in my arms she started kneading me and purring tight away. I knew then that I had to make her part of our family. When I had to put her back in the kennel to fill out the paperwork she dug her claws into my tshirt and didn't want to let go. I had a feeling this kitty was going to be very special. Frail and skinny she seemed like a very calm cat when I first took her home.







When she met the dogs she wasn't afraid at all she bopped them on the nose and let them know she was the new boss around the house. After a bit of recovery I came to realize she was actually very high energy. Every time I leashed up the dogs for an adventure she would stand at the door and cry and try to follow us. I had heard of people walking cats on leashes, but hadn't tried much myself. The thought of taking a cat hiking or camping seemed crazy. I decided to give it a try and she loved it! There was no looking back for this former feral. Persephone went from homeless to avid hiker and we couldn't be happier that she found her way to our family.



2 comments:

  1. What an awesome story! A quite the unique kitty you have there, she is quite special indeed!

    ReplyDelete